07 Mar Perception: A Few Thoughts From Our President, Jeff Russell
Sometimes, we find ourselves running into the same problems in life, and more times than not, it’s because we haven’t changed our story. We look at things from the same angle, we react to situations as we always have, and we get stuck in our same thought process.
Why? Because we haven’t changed our story. That often involves changing our perception because when we look at things from a new lens, we can think and act in a new (and better) way. Let’s take a deeper look at perception. When I Googled it, there were two definitions:
- The ability to see, hear or become aware of something through the senses.
- A way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something.
The second definition feels clearer, so let’s focus on that one. So, what if there was a way we could interpret something or someone differently? It turns out there is.
Here’s a great quote from The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday that sums this idea up:
“There is no good or bad without us, there is only perception. There is the event itself and the story we tell ourselves about what it means. That’s a thought that changes everything, doesn’t it?”
To better manage our perception, here are some steps to get started:
- Steady Your nerves: Mentally prepare for what’s ahead so you can deal with the situation with a cool head and clear mind.
- Control Your emotions: You don’t have to ignore how you feel. The key is controlling those emotions in your words and actions.
- Practice Objectivity: Practice not judging things that are out of your control.
- See Things As They Actually Are: Don’t make up a story in your mind.
- Alter Your Perspective: Limit and expand your perspective to keep calm and be ready for the task at-hand.
- Live In The Present Moment: Focus on the moment and on what is in your control, not what may or may not be ahead.
- Look For The Opportunity: No matter how negative something may seem, it provides us with a positive, exposed benefit we can act on, if only we look for it.
If you haven’t read The Obstacle is the Way yet, it’s an awesome book and goes into more detail on this topic. This is good stuff, and like with anything, it takes constant practice!
But the time and energy you put into it will be life-changing because change never comes from doing the same thing over and over again.
Life is good. – Jeff
Our team is here for you, so please reach out if we can help support you and your escrow needs!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.